RE: [CBQ] Rochelle IL 1965 derailment

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Rochelle IL 1965 derailment
From: "GLEN HAUG" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 17:46:52 -0700
Bcc:
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I can't help you with any specifics on a derailment in the 60's at this
location.  However, information on the relocation of the 2 track CB&Q signal
bridge that was east of the C&NW diamonds might correlate to a derailment.

The last time I visited Rochelle, the signal bridge was slightly over 200
ft. west of the 9th St crossing, and perhaps 600 ft. east of the diamonds.
This was also the original location for the signal bridge.  But records
indicate (and photographs from the mid and late 60's substantiate) that this
signal bridge, or another one like it, was moved closer to the interlocking
in 1965, less than 200 ft. from the diamonds.  I never knew the reason why,
and thought that it might have been related to retirement of the tower.  A
derailment that wiped out the signal bridge could be another reason.

Later in the BN era, a C&NW derailment in the late 70's (Super Bowl Sunday
1978?) wiped out the relocated Q signal bridge, and a replacement (I think
an original Q 2 track bridge from the Galesburg Store) was eventually put
back in the original location west of 9th Street using the original solid
foundations.  The precast foundations for the relocated signal bridge are
still there also.

Glen Haug