[CBQ] Re: Keithsburg Ill

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Keithsburg Ill
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:49:38 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the responses. I am quite familiar with Sanborn maps (and their
limitations related to trackwork) and have used them extensively. However in
NW Iowa I do not have access to Illinois Sanborn maps (am 200 miles from the
closest source of Iowa Sanborns). Fortunately a list member, Lenny Ohrnell,
emailed the Keithsburg maps to me, thanks. They helped answer the questions.
The depot sat inside a wye that projected east from the Q mainline on the
northside of town, location at 3rd and Van Buren streets. Lenny also steered
me to a photo of the Q's Keithsburg depot, in Bob Brown's Depot and Towers
Book for Illinois and Wisconsin. The photo, taken in 1953, shows the depot
windows boarded up and train order signal partially dismantled. Makes sense
with abandonment of the Q line in 1952.

The M&StL dug a barge slip in 1956, that appears to have taken out part of
the, by then, abandoned Q mainline and wye in Keithsburg. Further a GP,
painted for the M&StL, currently on display in Keithsburg (former GN engine
#727, later BN #1800) is sitting in the middle of the former Q wye just
south of the former Q depot site.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org