[CBQ] Short Review of TLC's "The President travels by Train"

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Short Review of TLC's "The President travels by Train"
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:08:40 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
FYI to POTUS train fans:

I recently purchased TLC Publications' 422 page hard bound book "The
President Travels by Train - Politics and Pullmans" by Bob Withers.
Regardless of a person's political leanings, this book is facinating
from both a railfan and an American history perspective.  It covers
POTUS trains from John Quincy Adams to Bill Clinton.  I have so far
read chapters from JQ Adams to Lincoln and from Truman to Clinton.
THe chapters on the 1948 and 1952 campaign trains are really
fascinating.  In addition to presidents, it also covers major
presidential candidates' train trips.

Off the top of my head, I remember seeing photos of Truman on the Q
in Burlington and Q E-units with his train in Caspar, WY.  There were
pictures of FDR in the vestibule of a Q car.  TR in Alliance, NE and
Chadron, Ne.  William Jennings Bryan at Red Oak, IA.  Text states
that Benjamin Harrison had a cab ride on the Q between Peoria &
Galesburg.

After reading about Truman in this book, I am thinking of visiting
the Truman Library (Indepence, MO) if I have time and make it out tho
KC for the Fall BRHS Meet.

FYI only.  I am not a deler, vendor, or asscoiated with the author or
publisher.

Enjoy.

Bill