Re: [CBQ] Re: The Ruling Grade at La Grange and other history tidbits

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: The Ruling Grade at La Grange and other history tidbits
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:20:14 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom

The term "riot" has always involved a measure of violence, traditionally
applied to an assembly of three or more persons using violence to achieve a
common purpose, thereby alarming others.  If you look at the construction
history of the transcontinental railroad, there was extensive fighting
between crews of the two roads when they came together until a decision was
made as to the final meeting point of the two at Promontory Point. With the
generous payouts of land and money by the government for each completed mile
of track, there was a lot at stake in pushing the line as far as possible.

There was a similar confrontation during the construction of the SP&S in
only 1905-6 when crews of the SP&S and UP fought for supremacy on the
Columbia River in Oregon.

In those days, employee loyalty was, perhaps, a bit stronger than it is
today!

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ