[CBQ] AAR/CB&Q Blotters

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] AAR/CB&Q Blotters
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:27:56 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Blotters were a common advertising medium for businesses back in the
day of ink pens.  The Burlington was generous with them as they were
often handed out at ticket counters as customers signed checks or as
gifts to freight customers.  I have a variety of th blotters - some
touting passenger trains were obviously geared for the traveling
public whereas those promoting freight service went to shippers. Many
can be dated by the train name (& schedule if given) or by a tiny date
code on the bottom left or right corner.  However the Q sometimes used
AAR issued blotters with an overprinted BR herald (as did a few other
RR's with their logos).  These are not date coded and except for
messages extolling the War effort (i.e. "42-45) they are hard to date.
Some are numbered sequentially but I never knew what # was issued when.
However I just acquired a copy of an AAR letter that gives the coding.
AAR began issuing blotters monthly in January of 1936.  Starting in
Nov of "36 they were numbered from 1 on up.  Thus if you have a #24
you can count months from Nov "36 to date it.  The 1st ten unnumbered
in order (Jan-Sept "36) are: 1,600,00 Children Educated; less than 1
cent; $10.12 Every Second for Taxes; A Daly Miracle; Check & Double
Check; America's Best Customer; In Every Emergency; U.S. Rys Lead the
World; America's Rolling Refrigerators & Sound Recovery.
If any of you have an AAR blotter with a BR overprint, please contact
me off list & I will compile a list.  This will be one more tiny bit
of Q data for a future Bulletin on Collectibles.  Tks!  Gerald