[CBQ] Re: Tracks Through Aurora

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Tracks Through Aurora
From: "o_rrman" <mofferman@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:53:44 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,

I really look forward to the article on the Alley Job. The
information you have provided so far for the group is great. If you
are looking for a proof-reader please let me know.  I am designing an
n-scale layout which will include the Alley, the NIFA line and also
the EJ&E line so any tidbits I pick up will just make the design
better.

I can't help out with any photos but I do know that the Aurora
Historical society has a CB&Q blueprint of Hill Yard, the old
Broadway station as well as Middle Ave (the Alley).  They have a
bunch of uncategorized CB&Q photos, maps and memoribillia which may
have information of use.  It's been a while since I've been there but
I can make an appointment to go and dig through their stuff again.

I do have some current pictures of Middle avenue showing the
industries that still exist if that would help...

Mike Offerman
Oswego IL

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, qutlx1@... wrote:

> Jerry Hamsmith is the expert on this subject as he has done an
excellent
> presentation on the subject.
>
> I will only add that the mainlines were at grade immediately
adjacent to
> where they were elevated except they crossed the Fox River just
North of North
> Ave instead of at Hurds Island.
>
> I am working on an article covering the history of the non raised
trackage
> that was still used after the elevation,the industries served,the
yard  switch
> jobs that worked this area and the characters who worked it for
years .  It is
> entitled the "Alley Job" . Currently it is 8 plus pages of
researched
> text,along with oral interview notes dating as far back as the
1960's. I expect
> that when filled out with visuals it will run 15-20 plus pages. I
have numerous
> maps,original art done by Mike Meketti ( a Q fireman who knew the
job first
> hand),engine assignment history,etc.
>
> I need help from anyone on the list and anyone they know to contact
me as
> I'm looking for photos of engines working in the Alley and around
River
> Street,tower train sheets listing the comings and goings of the
Alley job,etc.  Also