Re: [CBQ] Re: Commercial Posts

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Commercial Posts
From: "Ralph W. Brown, Jr." <cbq682@grics.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:45:56 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Somewhere I read where this "drawing" was an actual photograph taken at the
Galesburg roundhouse.  The locomotives were positioned on the tracks leading to
the turntable.  After taken the photo was retouched by removing the roundhouse
building in the background and adding the features in the clouds.  I've seen
many reproduction prints at trains shows and on the internet through the years.

R.W. Brown, Jr.
Galesburg, IL

Hi Michael,

Are the five locomotives together the same drawing as the BRHS uses
on the home page of their website? I think that that drawing was used
by CB&Q on one of their early 1960's calendars and maybe even annual
reports. They called this image something like "Parade of
Progress". The shovelnose Zephyr is the Silver Charger from the
General Pershing Zephyr.

When I rode the Milwaukee Road #261 steam excursion train from
Chicago to galesburg in 2002, the souveneer/snack car had prints of
that artwork for $30 that they claimed were from the CB&Q days and
found in a Twin Cities warehouse.

A nostalgic metal sign company called Desparate Enterprises made a
metla sign version of it in the mid 1990's (maybe the manufacturer of
your friend's sign?). They made five or six signs with Burlington
Route artwork, as well as several from other railroads. About the
time that I got interested, I learned from the local diner / pool
table store that Deparate Enterprises was out-of-business due to some
type of leagal matters with the owner of the Indian Motorcycles
trademarks. Sometimes you can find their BR signs at train shows. I
recently saw Deparate Enterprises metal tractor sighns at Menards.
They have an active website now, but unfortunately no BR offerings.

Another metal sign manufacturer named Ande Rooney has a circular
Pioneer Zephyr sign in light blue, dark blue, and white. I think it
is based on a CB&Q luggage sticker.

Good luck.

Bill