[CBQ] Chair Car VS. Coach Car

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Chair Car VS. Coach Car
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 11:34:43 -0500
Cc: davidp@tritel.net
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The official difference was that the coach seat was not a separate
unit, didn't recline, had no leg rest - so it was very much like the
typical commuter seat.  The chair was supposed to be plush, separate,
recline (depending on era) and have leg rests (ditto).

These differences held up into the streamliner era - and on some
roads, continued through to the end.   But a lot on a lot of roads,
the names morphed into each other.   The chair was supposed to be a
plusher, more for long term use.  But by the time the light  weight
cars came, all of the seats were the same.   But it was also the same
time that passenger revenues were dropping.  So you had the railroads
cutting their losses in two ways - one class (less different
maintenance, parts, etc.) and one price (better for the
traffic).  Some railroads, like the Q & AT&SF really pushed hard for
this traffic and it showed on the bottom line.  Others didn't - and
it showed there too.

t 11:00 AM 4/5/2007, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>2a.
>     PostChair Car VS. Coach Cared by: "david_f_pease"
> davidp@tritel.net david_f_pease
>     Date: Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:42 pm ((PDT))
>
>I was reading William Glick's new book Burlington passenger car
>photo album, when my wife (looking over my shoulder) ask me what
>the difference between a chair car and a coach car was.  I said I
>have no idea.  Looking at the photos they looked the same.  I
>decided to google the question, on train.com they had a glossary
>of train terms the defined a chair car as another name for coach
>car.  Ok this satisfied me until I got to page 300 in the book
>which has pictures of Burlington coach car 6117 which has both a
>chair and coach section. Ack! Ok the only thing different that I
>could see was the seating, however, I have seen both types of
>seating in both types of cars.  So what is the real difference?
>Maybe cost of tickets? Leg room?
>
>David

Bob Webber