[CBQ] Inaugural CZ Consists & Motive Power?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Inaugural CZ Consists & Motive Power?
From: "dcmmoscow" <dcmmoscow@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:36:26 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I'd appreciate help from the many experts on the California Zephyr
out there on a source for the following information.  I'd like to
like to identify exactly which consists and motive power were used
for the inaugural CZ runs of Trains 17 and 18 that departed Chicago
and Oakland respectively on March 20, 1949.  For those interested in
my little research project, here's what my very non-expert research
has turned up so far and I'd like to fill in the blanks.  Sources are
noted in parentheses:

TRAIN 18 MOTIVE POWER

  --  Departing Oakland:           WP F3 A/B/B set 803
                                   (Portrait of a Silver Lady by
                                   MacGregor, p. 138)
  --  Meeting in Glenwood Canyon:  D&RGW Alco PA/PB/PA set 601
                                   painted black & yellow
                                   (My guess since Story of the
                                   California Zephyr by Zimmerman,
                                   p. 29 shows the first meeting of
                                   the two CZs.  One CZ, which I
                                   think is westbound, was headed by
                                   a silver Alco set presumably 600.
                                   D&RGW, I believe, had only had two
                                   sets of Alco PA/PBs ? 600 & 601 ?
                                   at that point and only 600 had
                                   been repainted silver by March 20)
  --  Arriving Chicago:            CB&Q F3 A/B/A _________

TRAIN 18 11-CAR CONSIST (www.wplives.com)

  1.  Baggage                      CB&Q 903 Silver Bear
  2.  Vista Dome Coach             WP 811 Silver Dollar
  3.  Vista Dome Coach             CB&Q 4720 Silver Rifle
  4.  Vista Dome Coach             D&RGW 1108 Silver Pony
  5.  Vista Dome Buffet            WP 832 Silver Hostel
  6.  10-6 Sleeper                 CB&Q 428 Silver Valley
  7.  10-6 Sleeper                 D&RGW 1132 Silver Gorge
  8.  Diner                        WP 842 Silver Platter
  9.  16-Section Sleeper           CB&Q 401 Silver Larch
  10. 10-6 Sleeper                 D&RGW 1134 Silver Glacier
  11. Dome Observation             WP 881 Silver Crescent

TRAIN 17 MOTIVE POWER

  --  Departing Chicago:           CB&Q F3 A/B/A set 9961
                                   (Story of the California Zephyr by
                                   Zimmerman, p. 28)
  --  Meeting in Glenwood Canyon:  D&RGW Alco PA/PB/PA set 600
                                   painted silver with yellow nose
                                   (My guess since Story of the
                                   California Zephyr by Zimmerman,
                                   p. 29 shows what I think was a
                                   westbound CZ headed by a silver
                                   Alco PA/PB/PA set presumably 600.
                                   D&RGW, I believe, had only had two
                                   sets of Alcos ? 600 & 601 ? at
                                   that point and only 600 had been
                                   repainted silver by March 20)
  --  Arriving Oakland:            WP _________

TRAIN 17 11-CAR CONSIST

  1.  Baggage                      _________________
  2.  Vista Dome Coach             _________________
  3.  Vista Dome Coach             _________________
  4.  Vista Dome Coach             _________________
  5.  Vista Dome Buffet            _________________
  6.  10-6 Sleeper                 _________________
  7.  10-6 Sleeper                 _________________
  9.  16-Section Sleeper           _________________
  10. 10-6 Sleeper                 _________________
  11. Dome Observation             _________________

Thanks for any assistance that anyone could provide, and I will share
the results in a file to be posted as a resource for the whole group.

Dan Russell