[CBQ] WHANGDOODLE WHOPPERS..........2nd Section

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] WHANGDOODLE WHOPPERS..........2nd Section
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:15:19 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
A few days ago when the subject of THE WHANGDOODLE came up....probably
because I brought it up, I mentioned that I had a couple of stories sent to me
by
the late Robert Brown, former Q Agent-Telegrapher, Yardmaster and  Trainmaster.

Well, I've come across these tales and, would you believe, my copy  indicates
that I posted them on the BRHS list on 3/31/00..Leo even responded to
them...Now Leo..here's a little memory test for you...What was your
response?...I've got it in writing right here before me incase you need a
little  help.

Here are the stories direct from the "pen"...well, really the e mail from
Mr. Brown.

"The whangdoodle mentioned in your letter today, I sure do remember  them.
When I was agent at the small town of Pleasantville, on the  Albia-Des Moines
branch from 52 until 64 they put one in there around  1959.  It was located
inside above one of the office bay windows.  One  morning I was trying to get a
fire started in my pot bellied coal stove and was  having a hard time getting
it going.  I was spitting out a few choice words  at the stove when the
dispatcher called.  He had heard me and suggested I  turn off my whangdoodle.
(Had
to turn it on every afternoon when I went  off duty).  Since the fire went out
every night I had to build it every  morning.

Getting back to the whanger.  My dad was a dispatcher in Ottumwa for  almost
20 years from the mid 40's to the mid 60's.  He worked nights which  was his
choice as the second trick relief.  They had two sets of  dispatchers at
Ottumwa.  He worked each of their two relief days and then  one midnight to 8
am
relief.  When my wife an I were married in the fall of  1949 we got an
apartment
and lived in Ottumwa for a few months.  My dad  never had a car for years but
could walk a block up from the depot and catch  a  city bus home.  I was
working the extra board and getting a lot of  work at the yard office there and
at
the tower at the West edge of town where  the Milwaukee Davenport to Kansas
City line crossed our double track main  line.  The Q had several of those
whangdoodles along the main line.   Sometimes I would go up to the dispatchers
office about 11:30 or so and pick dad  up and take him home.  I was up to the
dispatchers office one night and he  had turned the whangdoodle on at a main
line
small town depot east of  Creston.  The agent kept the four wheeled platform
truck parked against the  waiting room trackside and up against the bay widow.
The whanger was up  above the truck under the overhanging eaves.  He heard a
male and female  talking and pretty soon we heard him say he would take his
coat off and spread  it out on the truck.  Needless to say I don't have to
continue  with  the rest of the story".

Between these two whanger stories Brown related an experience with "company
coal"..Anybody remember how that essential commodity was distributed "back in
the days"..I'll wait a day or two for responses before I delve into that
subject  along with the matter of LCL.

Pete