[CBQ] Re:LCL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:LCL
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:34:08 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo and Others:

I suspect that the oranges were not shipped as lcl (Less-Than-
Carload) freight, but as express.

The Railway Express Agency reserved space similar to the Post Office
Department for storage mail - by the linear foot. On branch lines it
was not uncommon for REA to reserve a foot or two in a waycar,
boxcar, or branch line combine.

I am close  to going to press with the book, Moving Mail and Express
by Mail. Included will be pages of tables showing what space was
reserved on what trains in REA's Central Region in October 1963. Yes,
CB&Q is represented and, yes, REA did reserve space in Q waycars on
branch lines. This was done when no passenger train service was
provided.

At the appropriate time, a commercial announcement will be posted.

Back to the book,

Ed  DeRouin