Re: [CBQ] Mt Morris

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mt Morris
From: Jerry Stauffer <milw265@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:18:26 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,
  Off the top of my head I have no idea when they stopped loading magazines
into box cars, for a number of years they had the piggy back ramps until they
started loading trailers and sending them to yards in chicago to load. Almost
all printed loads are still shipped by rail and loaded in the city.  Along with
the mtys..all waste paper is shipped out of the plant by rail, usually 4 to 5
loads a week.  No ink was ever recieved by rail but many many years ago fuel
oil for the boilers was recieved in tankcars. Long time before me!  Do you
remember Tom Teasdale in Mt. Morris?
  Also I remember Henry Fruit???  worked the local too.

  Jerry

qutlx1@aol.com wrote:
          Jerry,

Yes I did work the Oregon-Mt Morris job from the extra list in the early to
mid 70's. By then Kable was simply a matter of spotting linbound paper loads
and pulling mtys. Do you (or anyone ) know when Kable ceased shipping finished
product by rail ? Does anyone know if Kable received ink by rail?
In a slide or video somewhere I once saw a picture of Oregon in which the Mt
Morris main in front of the depot was full of BREX reefers. I made the
assumption these were for Carnation loading with condensed milk as the shot
predated
the advent of the insulated boxcars. Can anyone confirm that Carnation loaded
reefers?

Leo