[CBQ] Trk. Assignments

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Trk. Assignments
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:01:37 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ted, your second paragraph is the correct answer !  I'll assume your comments
about Savanna and Grand xing refer to the Milw. RR so it's nice to learn
other roads used this same methodology.
At W. Eola the operator would put the trk number the crew was to use in the
window of the tower so that as they went past they would know what to do. Hand
signs wouldn't work very well between a tower and a passing train. You must
have missed the previous two hand sign clinics I presented at BRHS events.
Maybe
we'll have an encore presentation someday.
At Union Ave tower a number was placed in one of the track side windows to
inform trainmen, porters and car attendants which side to unload from in Union
Station. By the 70's this info was being supplied by radio leaving Aurora but
when you went by Union Ave the light would still display the character in case
the news hadn't traveled all thru the train.
Maybe a fitting prize will be a visit to your shop soon.

Leo
PS- Joined the Milw Society in Dec.