Re: [CBQ] Coach PINOAL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coach PINOAL
From: keith.nystedt@abnamro.com
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:17:00 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Are you sure the name isn't Pinoak?

Keith Nystedt
Home Lending Officer
LaSalle Bank Home Lending Center
139 N. Cass Avenue
Westmont, IL  60559

Direct Line:   630-241-6422
Cell Phone:  630-881-5596
Fax:                630-964-0309

keith.nystedt@abnamro.com

www.tipsformortgage.com/knystedt

"Making More Possible"

                      Bob Webber

                      <no17@comcast.ne         To:      "No Reply"
<notify-dg-CBQ@yahoogroups.com>, CBQ@yahoogroups.com
                      t>                       cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: [CBQ] Coach PINOAL

                      CBQ@yahoogroups.

                      com

                      02/01/2007 11:29

                      AM

                      Please respond

                      to CBQ

Archie,
*IF* the coach is a Pullman, it may be traceable.

What was on the letterboard? (roadname)?

Are you sure it was a coach? The name PINOAL doesn't show up in the
Pullman list, but it may have been a road applied name.

If the letterboard has a road name, as opposed to PULLMAN, in that
era - or a train name - it should then have the owners' name(s) on
the trainboard, and if operated by Pullman or another service, their
name on the ends. At that time, there were a number of tour and
charter operators who had cars lettered for their own enterprises (or
simply used other road's cars). Judson tours is one, though they
typically used Pullmans. Wagner and Silver Palace still had
excursion and private cars in operation at the time as well.

In the era mentioned, it could have been a St. Charles Car Co. car, a
Billmeyer & Small, a Barney & Smith, a Jackson & Sharp, a Brill, a
Wagner, or any of a few other manufacturers. Or even in the road's
own shops - often they would take a retired car and rebuild it - in
truth, jacking up the car, throwing away most of it and building a new
body.

If it was a Burlington car, the answer might be in the Newberry
Library in the archives. If a Pullman owned car, the name may be
wrong, or it might be an earlier name from the Palace Car company
days, and I'd have to look next Wednesday.

BTW, there is a book on the Canadian Silk trains - "Silk Trains The
Romance of Canadian Silk Trains or "The Silks"" by Bernard Webber
published in 1993 by Word Works Publications. The Silks ran up to
1940 - the book gives numbers on various routes, including via the
Panama Canal, along with tonnages (and why speed was critical).

At 10:46 AM 2/1/2007, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>2a. Re: CB&Q Pullman Sleepers
>
>Group, Scott's posting on Pullman sleepers jogged my memory about a
>question I had pertaining to Pullman cars. Some time ago while
>doing some research at the Missouri Historical Society archives, I
>came across an old photo of a fancy Pullman coach sitting on the
>H&StJo track at the Hannibal Union Depot. The photo was sharp
>enough that I could read the name of the coach on the side of the
>car. It was named "Pinoal". Is there any chance that the history
>of this car can be traced through Pullman records or something
>else? Now I called this car a Pullman but that was just an
>assumption on my part, but it was a fancy coach. Archie

Bob Webber

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V, which has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is
registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587, including its
group companies, shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its
group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of
viruses, interceptions or interference.