Re: [CBQ] Silk Trains/Berry Special

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Silk Trains/Berry Special
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:21:25 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo
Would that include Hot Rod Harding
SJH
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: qutlx1@aol.com
  To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:06 AM
  Subject: [CBQ] Silk Trains/Berry Special

  The thread about silk trains (of course) brought back some memories and
  stories but I need RJ,Karl,Steve,et al to carry this one furhter than I can.

  Many engineers I worked with when talking about "the good old days" would
  bring up the "berries specials".
  These were high priority fruit blocks of cherries and berries(short lifed
  fruit as compared to apples,potatoes,carrots,etc that had a longer transit
  tolerance). The story was uniform in that a message from the DS would be
attached to
  the train orders stating "make best possible time". And that is just what the
  crews would do. In essence the message was authority to use their best
  judgement as to how fast they could go and stay on the rails.

  Leo