[CBQ] 1967 Blizzard

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 1967 Blizzard
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:53:18 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Here's a factual incident from the 1967 blizzard. Bill Wohl (my great uncle
in law) was 58 at the time and working as an extra collector on suburban from
Aurora. He lived at least 7 miles from the depot on So. Broadway as he lived a
couple miles straight north of Eola YD; so by milepost counting (38-33) I get
5 plus a couple is 7 or so.

Why is this of interest ? The morning after the blizzard had started he
walked all 7 miles in a couple feet of snow to get to work. Keep in mind it was
probably was about 3 in the morning as on duty time was around 5AM. Years later
guys were still coming up to me and complaining how he made them look bad that
day by showing up. During the 1979 blizzard I marked off one morning when I
had struggled to get home late one night from work through 6 or 8 inches of
snow
and woke the next morning to over 27 inches and the caller begging me to get
to the depot. The street didn't get plowed for over a day.

When Bill retired in 1974 he had worked 31 years w/o ever marking off or
missing a call.

Leo
Ps- I was in school in 1967 but if it  was anything like winter '78 and '79
it was a battle to do the simplest things.