Re: [CBQ] Re: Thoughts on FRED

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Thoughts on FRED
From: cy svobodny <ctsvobodny@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:42:56 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There were and I believe still are both "smart" &
"Dumb" FRED's.  Depending on radio abilities, "smart"
FRED's transmit info from rear to front of train (some
are both ways,"smarter" FRED, and can be used to dump
air, ie. set brakes from rear.). "Dumb" FRED is only a
flashing light. They all seem to flash day or night
(if the batteries are charged).  Most in use today are
"smart" or "smarter" type. AMTRAK (my ex.
employer(retired) uses the "smarter" version which has
a log in number code for each FRED that is dialed into
a transmiter/receiver in the loco.  FRED was the name
of the inventor, but other words have been used to
designate the letters "F-R-E-D".  The "F" seems to
have another 4-letter word meaning. Plus "Rear End
Device".  Years age I know of a bunch of them being
sent out line, that had been turned on(flashing)
enroute so the battery was dead on each one.  Railroad
could not replace caboose with a non working FRED,
Therefor the caboose had to be used all trains til the
battery was recharged.  Quite a sight all those things
flaching away.  CY