Re: [CBQ] Re: Thoughts on FRED

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Thoughts on FRED
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:11:09 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Karl and listers

The BN had just such a "mishap" as Karl described just west of Lincoln  about
9-10 years ago.

Ice in the trainline near the head end of the train prevented setting the
air on the rear end of the train resulting in a runaway and the inevitable
expensive and disatrous results as you described.

It reminded me of a "tale" by E.S. Dellinger in the old RAILROAD MAGAZINE
where a similar event took place and the train was running away, but the hero
of
 the story...a young fireman working "under a flag" for the evil engineer
Snediker (Dellinger always had sinister sounding names for his villains) came
 the rescue by going back "over the tops" and down the side ladder and with
the  stroke of his pocket knife slit the air hose behind the ice jam, resulting
in  the expected, just in time, emergency application and saved the day.

That was before FRED became a "two way critter" as so aptly described by  our
resident "railroad raconteur"
...I think it was a few years before FRED was born.

If there are questions regarding..."Working under a flag" and/or raconteur
you may direct them to "the undersigned"

Pete

Pete