[CBQ] Wisconsin Electric Power (WEPX) Thrall Gondolas

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Wisconsin Electric Power (WEPX) Thrall Gondolas
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:03:50 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Athearn is releasing 3 sets of 5 numbers of WEPX Thrall rotary coal
gondolas. These were bult in 1968, numbers 101-335 (235 cars). They
were used on the CB&Q in unit trains between Old Ben No. 26 mine and a
power plant at Oak Creek, WI. See p. 147 of BB 35 "Q In the Coal
Fields" for a B&W photo. There are also B&W photos of the "Green Worm"
trains loading at Old Ben No. 26 on P. 98 of BB 35.

Here are my questions:

First, and most important, the photo of the Athearn cars appear to be
as built since the do not have any AAR/FRA black stencil boxes. Since
these stencil boxes started appearing in the early 1970's, I would not
think that WEPX would have repainted these cars without adding them.
For a photo of the Athearn car see:

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH94478

The Athearn cars are green with silver ends. According to the BB the
WEPX cars were green with yellow ends. Can anyone speak to the correct
color scheme for the original cars? I have always wanted to run a WEPX
unit train on my layout, and I am sure others will as well. I sent an
e-mail to Athearn and will share whatever I find out.

Second question: Common power in the coal fields was SD7's. The photos
on P. 98 of BB 35 show the trailing unit on the "Green Worm" train to
indeed be an SD7. Can anyone speak to whether SD7 sets were the normal
power and if so, how many were used? I model 1967/68.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH