[CBQ] Re: CBQ XM4s, XM4As and MC's kit

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CBQ XM4s, XM4As and MC's kit
From: "leakinmywaders" <leakinmywaders@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:07:00 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tim:  If someone did an accurate sheet for the cars you're talking
about for the 40-ft boxcars, I'll buy enough to letter several models.
I'm sure lots of other late 60s-70s-era modelers would too.  I'd think
there'd be good demand for a factory painted AAR boxcar in this
pre-merger Q scheme, though for an accurate model in most cases you'd
have to do a little work to represent the reinforced side sills
(something us NP modelers are used to).

The photo I am working from, a shot of B&M consist in March 1970 from
the summer 2006 issue of Classic Trains, shows an XM4 in fresh green
paint (roof painted green too, sans runing boards of course).  The
lettering is identical to the lettering of XM4s in the chinese red
scheme.  The notes with the Modelers Choice XM4 kit also mention this
about the 1969 repaints.

In an earlier communication on this question, John Gilles suggested
that, as a rule of thumb at least, the lettering on gray grain doors
remained red on the green repaints. So the Modelers Choice decal sheet
for the XM4 works for both original red and repaints.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT