[CBQ] Re: Burlington & Ottumwa (IA) Yards

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington & Ottumwa (IA) Yards
From: "jworones" <jworones@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:08:23 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Going on memory here so watch out...
Late in the game for the RI (spring of 79 comes to mind), they dumped a
bunch of covered hoppers off a bridge near Mediapolis. Took out the
bridge and severed the line. BN took over the traffic out of Burlington
(they already handled most of the switching anyway).

After bankruptcy, the BJRY was formed and purchased the line from the
bridge to the BN yard in Burlington from the Trustee. They had to fight
BN for the line because BN said since they were operating it, it was
thiers.

Last time I was in Burlington, there were two BJRY C415s in Mt. Hood
Dinner train colors parked by the Burlington Basket building. Dave Lotz
can correct me on this, but I think that is where the RI locomotive
facilities were.
Somewhere past the Case plant was a 44 tonner.

Jeff

Jeff Worones
Lake Stevens WA

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@...> wrote:

> The Burlington Junction handles the switching in Quincy Illinois
along
> the riverfront and at the ADM plant (formerly known as Moormans) near
> 30th street in Quincy.
>
> IIRC, the Burlington Junction started switching the former Rock
Island