[CBQ] CB&Q Commuter Questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q Commuter Questions
From: "Andy Roth" <darlaroth@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 02:10:05 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello Gentlemen,
I have been reading some of the postings about the commuter trains.
I am co-authoring a book on Chicago Commuter railroads and I was
hoping a few of you could answer a some questions which I can
include in the book.

If I am correct, the steam locomotives were retired in September
1952 and that some of the 1950 bi-levels were pulled by steam
locomotives in the short two years they overlapped in active
service?  I have seem a few pictures and it looks like Pacific
locomotives were in commuter service in the last few years of steam.

I have not been able to find out when the Downers Grove commuter
yard was taken out of service and also when trains began being
parked at Eola Yard?  Did the commuter trains immediately transfer
from being parked at Downers Grove to being parked at Eola or was
their a time difference between location?

I read one posting that the first CB&Q bi-levels had steam heat, is
this true?  I know they had electricity for lights, power and air
conditioning.  When did the switch to electric heat occur?  I would
think it was after the sigle level heavyweights were retired.  We
will be using a picture of an E-unit pulling a mix of heavyweight
clearstory cars and bi-levels in the book.

I have heard that the CB&Q rotated some of their engines from long
distance to commuter service and that in additin to he more usual
E8s and E9s, that E7s and E5s were in cummuter service once in a
while.

If you answer these questions, please let me know it is OK to use
your information to print in the book.

Sincerely,
Andy Roth