[CBQ] Re: Montgomery Interlocking Tower

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Montgomery Interlocking Tower
From: "Dave Fiore Sr." <df514@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:50:19 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thank you very much for this information. By the way, BNSF has filed
a petition with STB to abandon the remaining segment of the NIFA
Branch in North Aurora.

Dave

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, <sholding@...> wrote:

> Dave
> EWD track over elevation from Montgomery to Aurora(Broadway) open
April 20, 1920
> WWD Track open Sept. 7, 1920  Before that there was a full wye from
the Main Line to the C&I and up the NIFA Branch(Northern Illinois
Fair Association) ((to Geneva from Streator line originally))
> South Aurora Tower was located at the west end of North Ave where
it crosses Broadway and split the C&I from the Main Line (Jerry
Hammsmith has my photo of tower)  This was moved south to the viaduct
over River St and three switchtenders handling the switches at the
new depot site.  This was replaced by the brick tower at the depot on
Dec. 4, 1924 with new depot on Broadway open on May 16, 1925  New
Montgomery Tower was put in service Nov. 5, 1925    With CTC Cutover
between Galesburg and Aurora tower no longer needed and removed from
service however was still on  site until after BN Merger
> SJH

March
>   26, 1925 reported the tower was located in Aurora and it would be
>   moved to Montgomery. Also, it had been out of service since
>   installation of a new interlocking plant at Aurora.
>
>   According to the article, CB&Q relocated the tower in order to
use
>   the mainline as an advance track for trains moving out of Aurora
>   Yard. Other details: CB&Q designated the tower as No. 38 and it
would
>   control 12 switches at Montgomery.
>
>   I understand the tower was abandoned around 1965 after
installation