[CBQ] Re: FW&D questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: FW&D questions
From: "chambers_ed" <chambers_ed@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:27:22 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Warsher" <erie2536@...> wrote:

I think the FW&D offically ended at Ft Worth but the freight trains
that continued on to Houston and Galveston ran on the Rock Island
between Ft Worth and Dallas then on Dallas Union Terminal trackage
then onto the MKT from Dallas to Waxahatchie then onto Burlington-
Rock Island a jointly owned railroad the rest of the way to Houston
and Galveston . I think in the period 1952 thru about 1956 when the
TZ pass train terminated at Dallas the pass trains backed into the
T&P station in Ft Worth in the morning and the normal TZ E5's were
cut off the trains and taken to the FW&D engine service facility and
laid over for the day to fuel ect and the TZ train was then taken
from Ft Worth on to Dallas by a FW&D Pacific which laid over at
Union Terminal until the evening return to Ft Worth and the engines
changed again to continue on to Denver. This was done because Union
Terminal did not at the time have engine service facilities for
diesels .When they cut the steam  engine off I think they changed
the schedule to allow time to fuel the diesels at Ft Worth before
continuing on to Dallas. All other railroads using Union Terminal
serviced their diesels before terminating trains arrived at Dallas.
I am not sure what the operating plan was when the TZ continued on
to Houston .   Ed Chambers    Hi List :