Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Passenger Car for Sale and Riding a "Real" Burlington Pas

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Passenger Car for Sale and Riding a "Real" Burlington Passenger Train
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:57:47 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I personally rode on the original 1936 Denver Zephyr, and given the number of
times I rode, I probably rode on both consists represented by the cars in the
Black Hills.

  It was my favorite train and actually, I was disappointed initially when the
replacement trains did not look as long (trains always look shorter from a
dome) and did not have the round end observation car.  That is where my
interest comes from regarding the original DZ, a train that, to me as a child,
was the longest and most beautiful train I ever saw.

  sjl

Mack <thommack@yahoo.com> wrote:
          OK folks, here comes a chance of a lifetime, or maybe two chances of a
lifetime. Please read on, because there is REAL potential here for
something big for Burlington Route fans.

First, earlier in the year I mentioned finding an ex-CB&Q 10-6 sleeper
in Pennsylvania. It is the Silver Meadow, Amtrak 2465 ex-CB&Q 433. She
is basically original inside, still has the Burlington name board with
BURLINGTON showing through, skirting is gone, but she is in overall
good shape. She belongs to Kevin Moore, a dentist in Clarion, PA. She
is ready to roll, but would need a few things to be Amtrak compliant,
such as a waste retention system, generator installed (if no HEP is
available), some diaphragm work, and trucks checked. She is currently
for sale on RailSwap, price is $52,500. I can pass on Kevin's phone
number and e-mail if anyone is interested.

Second, there was a recent thread on how we need to "save" CB&Q
passenger equipment. Trains like the MTZ were mentioned. With the
shape of the MTZ, even if she is saved (and I hope that is the case),
restoration will be a long, tedious, and very expensive process. At
best, she would probably only be for display, not for revenue use. On
the other hand, we have many great Q cars already out there in running
or near running condition. I recently mentioned how there are a number
of them right here in Cincinnati, including a beautiful NP/CB&Q dome
car and an original Exposition Flyer observation. Wouldn't it be great
if there was a place to store these cars for free and get TLC for the
cars at no charge to the owner (in exhcange for something, of course -
nothing is totally free)?

Now folks, here is the chance to put your money where your mouth is,
so to speak. This has some real potential, so please bear with me.

1. If you had the opportunity to go to a real train station, not a
modern Amtrak station, but one of the remaining great train stations
of America, board an overnight true "streamliner" (not an Amtrak
special) with E-units on the head-end, spend the weekend with
"dinner-in-the-diner", dome and/or observation privileges, and your
own room or roomette in a TRUE BURLINGTON ROUTE SLEEPER, would you
jump on the chance to turn back the clock to 1940, 1950, 1960???

2. How many miles from your home would you travel for this experience?

3. Would it matter to you if the train didn't travel on the original
railroad's home rails or be a "pure" single railroad consist if you
could enjoy a sleeper from your favorite road (CB&Q) and other cars
from the CB&Q as well?

4. How much would you be willing to pay for this "Nostalgia Weekend"
(2 nights accomadations, two dinners and one breakfast in the diner)?
Please be honest: $250 per person? $400 per person? $400 per couple?
How much?

5. If given multiple weekend options for these excursions, would you
consider riding more than once per year (e.g. a fall excursion as well
as a spring trip, etc.)?

6. Would you consider riding more than once over a period of time?

Finally, would all BRHS members or CB&Q List members who own running
or near running condition Burlington Route cars please contact me
off-list at thommack@yahoo.com

Thanks everyone!

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH