[CBQ] Q Suburban Service Was Re: Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q Suburban Service Was Re: Chicago Union Station
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:52:40 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Loren:

Thanks for your kind words about the PTJ article.

For those looking for the back issues of PTJ, the articles appeared
in the Dec 1988 and Jan 1989 issues.

Ironically, I was asked by the Shore Line Interurban Historical
Society if I would prepare a shorter version of the article for its
quarterly magazine, First & Fastest, which I did. The abbreviated
article does not cover the modernization of the signals and control
systems, nor does it extend past 1970. I believe that it still covers
much of the CB&Q material. I am unsure of what photos will illustrate
the story. The organization is expanding is subject area to include
Metra and the steam road suburban services that proceeded it. The
shorter article should be appearing soon. I am unsure of when, since
the article has been pushed back twice.

The devil in me wants to suggest that those interested in modeling
CUS acquire a copy of Cooperation Moved the Public, also produced by
Shore Line. It is the first of its Despatch Series of irregularly
published booklets.  This one covers the operation by CRT (CTA) and
the CA&E. The reason that it is related to CUS is that the structure
passed over the south trainshed of CUS in the block between the
Concourse and the Post Office. Those modelers of CUS could then run
the steam and diesel trains north and south and the electrics east
and west!  8-)

Best regards,

Ed DeRouin