Re: [CBQ] Interesting Double-Door Wood Box photo on eBay

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Interesting Double-Door Wood Box photo on eBay
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:30:12 +1300
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom

46727 was an XA-14D single sheathed auto car built in 1937 at Havelock with
doors at one end.

There is a note in Railway Prototype Cyclopedia #12 (a full article on CB&Q
auto cars) that many XA-14's received the new Block Gothic lettering
post-1958 but kept the mineral red paint. As the diagonal braces prevented
the usual placement of "Burlington" towards the top of the side, the word
was lowered to fit between the braces.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ