Re: [CBQ] Unusual cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Unusual cars
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:02:48 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie

Thanks for the responses.
Page 9 - I agree there may be another number after the "93", which changes
the date of the photo (if the ORER's are correct).  Judging from the 1885
ORER comments, a new numbering system for passenger equipment was adopted in
1884 and the mail car series was changed to 900-919, with four cars (50, 52,
73 and 74) still to be renumbered as at June 1885. By 1888 (after the date
recorded for the photo), the number system had only been extended to
900-922.  Bill Glick's Passenger Car Roster shows that 914-920 (except 917)
were renumbered to 930-935, but this change didn't appear in the ORER's
until 1889 or 1890.  This would suggest that the photo should be dated after
1888.

Page 49 - this photo also appears (in full) in the Holbrook/Lorenz Waycars
book page 98, but no sign writing is visible.  Your comment about the
individual metal letters is interesting - I shall be forced to peer ever
more intently at early coaches.

Rupert