Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2842

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2842
From: Robert MANLEY <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:34:52 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ken,
The Athearn composite hopper is a passable model if you want an easy slap on
the rails project. As the saying goes, it is what it is. It was a good model
for it's day, easily better than what Revell, Varney or Tyco had to offer. Not
as good as Ulrich but it was a different prototype and helped create a visual
difference in long strings of other cars.

The extra work to make this product accurate by todays standards doesn't seem
worth it compared to what is now available. You would have to open up the
triangular openings between the gussets and change the end panels to represent
steel and not wood slats. You would have to live with a car that is a foot too
wide, too few slats on the side and an incorrect side sill. The hopper door
detailing, Z brace and door locks are not present on the model. You'd also need
to add the slope sheet braces and pumb the brake components.

The Proto 2000 kit or built up has all the right details in the right places (
except the door locks on the wrong side for the Q) and a nice lettering job. I
added brake lines to the side the locks are on ,based on a company photo from
Bat Masterson, a long grab on the right side of both ends ( formerly plastic),
towing tabs from A-Line, and DA lift bars. They even come with National type B
trucks that will accept Intermountain wheelsets. The grabs are wire and are pre
cut easily fitting into predrilled holes, use good tweezers and magnifying
optics. Photos of 4 of my models are in the March 2005 RMJ on the top of page
63. They are weathered with an airbrush and drybrushing and are run regularly
on the Mod-U-Trak layout. They're one of my favorite classes of hoppers and I
intend to build more even if the Q paints are gone. I bought several decal sets
by Jerry Hamsmith at one of the annual meets and I gotta tell you his decals
are the best. Good crisp lettering, all the data
 you need, correctly sized  heralds and slogans and best part, they work.

Breifly the Tichy USRA Hopper is a museum quality model that fits together well
considering it is about 16 years old. The kit would be comparable to a Tamiya
auto or tank model in fit and detail with the plus of adding wire details for
added realism. The kits instructions are the best and the only trickey assembly
was the endn panels to the sides fit. You'll need to sand lightly with a nail
board.Lettering is a little tricky as there is not a set just for them. You'll
have to cobble and pilage several makers sets. Champ, Micro scale, Hamsmith.
You can use Accurail's Andrews trucks with my fave Intermountain wheelsets.  It
will track well with those and will derail with Kadees trucks unless yo add
extra concealed weight. The kit is a real jewel. If you can find the Mainline
modeler articles for back up, you can detail it beyond the kit level.

I should also like to mention the Accurail 3 bay is an excellent kit out of the
box. State of the art detail, simple assembly and available in Chinese Red. Jim
Singer's 5th Avenue car shops has them in the Mineral red scheme with many
numbers. I believe compared to photos the ends on the Accurail body are correct
for Q as compared to the Bowser/Stewart version. The brake end detail , brake
wheel and stirrup steps are the finest cast parts outside of a craftsman kit.

I didn't see a mention of the BRHS's own freight car model listing. Al Hoffman
compiled a comprehensive chart with classes of cars and commercial models
available. It's only limitations are the cars we didn't finish or the models
yet to come. The list is a real eye opener if you are new to what can be easily
& accurately modeled in CB&Q. It is primarily plastic and resin car kits with
hints on how to correct some of the shortcomings.

As always consult your photo references  and don't run with scissors.

Rob Manley,
Midwest Mod-U-Trak
Better modeling through personal embarrassment.