Re: [CBQ] GN Black Hawk Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GN Black Hawk Cars
From: rgortowski@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:05:46 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In a message dated 7/11/2006 6:06:32 PM Central Standard Time, rot@ti.org
writes:
I am not a Black Hawk expert, but I take it you mean the Chicago
connection to the Western Star. The 48-seat day-nite coaches on the
Empire Builder were also used on the Western Star, but these are not
included in the Walthers group.
The Blackhawk wasn't a connection.  The Western Star and the Blackhawk were
two totally different trains with different equipment and train numbers (though
they usually ran combined from Chicago up to the Twin Cities).  The Blackhawk
would not use any of the Walthers EB cars.  They used stainless steel
sleepers after 1952 (and 8-5 heavyweight sleepers before then).  They also
could use
heavyweight chair cars or pre-war stainless steel coaches.  The Western Star
was cut off at St. Paul (and hooked up to GN power for the trip to Minneapolis,
I think).  The Blackhawk remained under Q power and terminated in Minneapolis.

Rich

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM