[CBQ] GN Black Hawk Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] GN Black Hawk Cars
From: Randal O'Toole <rot@ti.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:48:10 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
>Would any of the new Walthers EB Series cars be suitable for the
>Blackhawk if lettered straight GN, or were the EB car plans only used
>for EB cars?

I am not a Black Hawk expert, but I take it you mean the Chicago
connection to the Western Star. The 48-seat day-nite coaches on the
Empire Builder were also used on the Western Star, but these are not
included in the Walthers group.

Walthers' 60-seat coaches could easily stand in for Western
Star-Black Hawk cars, if relettered Great Northern. Only one of these
cars would be on any given train.

The sleepers are more problematic. Most Western Star sleepers were
named in the Pass series but internally were configured differently
from the Pass series used in the 1955 Empire Builder. I think that
the Rapido GN sleeper is at least as good a model for the Western
Star and saves you the trouble of relettering. (The Rapido coach
would also be okay, but the Walthers coach is more accurate for
Western Star. The Rapido coach would not be a stand-in for a day-nite
coach.)

The Empire Builder used only two (short) dome cars in the winter, and
the GN put the third car on the Western Star, which continued on the
Black Hawk. I doubt they relettered it Great Northern as it was put
back on the Builder during the Christmas rush.

The GN diners used on the Builder and Star were pretty similar, but
the diners on the Star did not continue through to Chicago. The
pre-1955 observation cars on the Star were similar to the post-1955
Builder obs that is in the Walthers set, but they also did not
continue through to Chicago.

So, in short, you can put one relettered Walthers 60-seat coach, one
unrelettered dome-coach (for winter), and two or three relettered
Walthers or unrelettered Rapido Pass-series sleepers on the Black
Hawk.

I hope this helps,

Randal
--