[CBQ] CB&Q Train 29

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q Train 29
From: "expressexpressman" <dave@dglambert.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:35:13 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Group,

I'm nearly finished with an article for "the model railroad press"
on modeling a transcontinental mail and express service.

I co-authored (with John Signor) the Santa Fe Society's 1997 article
on Train 7, the Fast Mail Express. The new article is an expanded
version of the Train 7 article--tracing the transcontinental cars
back to the railroads that delivered them to Chicago and St. Louis
for delivery by the ATSF to Los Angeles.

In studying consists and routings of NYC Train 13, their M&E train
to Chicago via the Canada Southern and Michigan Central, I was
struck by the huge number of CB&Q cars in the consists and NYC cars
destined for CB&Q Train 29 in Chicago.

Therefore, no such article would be complete without at least
an "arm wave" about CB&Q Train 29.

I picked up a copy (in a London bookshop!)of the Railroad's 75th
Anniversary Commemorative of The Fast Mail. In this little book, it
mentioned that the train once had 82 cars in one section during WWII.

Which leads me to my questions:

1. Did the CB&Q publish "consist books" (as did the PRR, B&O, C&O,
etc.)? What was the "typical consist" of Train 29?
2. The holy grail for an article like mine is an actual train sheet
or consist "car numbers in order from the engine", as many of the
forms state. Does anyone have any such?
3. Did Train 29 have an eastward counterpart? (Train 29, perhaps.)
4. If so, did it retrace the route of Train 29? Interestingly, NYC
Train 13 went via the Canada Southern into Detroit; whereas Train 14
went via Cleveland.

Any help any of you could give on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dave Lambert

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM