Re: [CBQ] Looking for some help....

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Looking for some help....
From: John Ziola <johnsclubs@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 04:31:53 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
AMEN Charles,

  John

Charlie Vlk <cvlk@comcast.net> wrote:
          Keith-
With all due respect, don't ride that horse.....
The Hobby is less expensive today than it ever has been.
Kids have stuff that is more expensive....that $3.98 pair of Keds that we used
to wear are now Nikes at $89 (and much more!!!) a pop. Water used to be free
and now it comes in bottles in a bewildering array of brands and flavors for $5
a gallon or more.
Kids have cellphones that cost their parents a few sawbucks a month to maintain
and I'll bet few of them watch regular TV or maybe even Basic Cable...
We tend to remember the "good old days" when you could get an Athearn
rubberband drive F7 for $5.95.... but somehow forget that in today's money that
same expenditure is now about $75 and today you can get a gear drive, five pole
skewed armature flywheel heavy weight mechanism unit with improved graphics,
glass, operating headlight and a dummy B Unit for that money and with "street
prices" pocket some change!!!!
These are the good old days and the Hobby has never been cheaper!!!
Taking kids under your wing is fine and good and helping them out is fine
too... but don't impart to them that the Hobby is expensive...it isn't...
especially compared to consumer goods or other leisure time activities (priced
a day a the ballpark lately??).... and the Hobby is worth every penny you put
into it...
and unlike many other activities you get some residual value from every penny
you spend after you've held and enjoyed the purchases for years!!!
Charlie Vlk