Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:00:27 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ed,
There are Glossy photos to be found by the usual suspects, ie. Don Gruber or
some of the vendors at the BRHS annual meets.

The 2 best images in printed form are:

Chicago's Passenger Trains -- Robert Olmsted pp 86
CB&Q Color Guide to Freight & Passenger Equipment__ Milke Spoor. pp21

These are two MUST HAVE books for your passenger train and modeling interrests.
The Olmsted book has a great 3/4 view showing roof and end detailing. Most
importantly, to me, it shows weathering and that the HO brass version from The
Coach Yard has the wrong end profile. The model has a spartan underframe and
the ends look more like a Pensy round roof boxcar, the sides should have been
bowed a little. Aside from that the car was a little pricey compared to other
brass cars of it's time. I think it was $225. A lot more than what we paid for
the heavy weight SSS car, which was a much nicer model. Both cars are in the
same spread in the Color book.

The Chicago book is also an excellent modelers guide to '50s-'60s layout size
pasenger trains. Many of the trains were downsized during that era and shorter
more affordable consists were the norm. Affordable being a term related to
modelers dollars. The view has Pendulum behind an E-5A & a Pullman Green coach
as train #2 the Galesburg local.
Sincerely,
Rob Manley
Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"When building kits is a lost art,
Only lost artists will be building kits !!"