RE: [CBQ] Re: Prairie du Chien depot photos online?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Prairie du Chien depot photos online?
From: "Matt Carlson" <matt.carlson@railmemories.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:24:03 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well being as how I was born in 1974 I never knew the CB&Q first hand.
However I can say that the road is very busy as the current BNSF. Yesterday
saw about 45 trains from 6am - 8pm.

Although the majority of the road is double track it has numerous choke
points, aka single track (Wisconsin River, La Crosse, Winona Junction,
Chippewa River). To pour salt on this the double tracks are not dual singled
nor are there any powered crossovers. With current operations trackwork, a
dead crew or other troubles tend to gum up the works real quick. One thing
pre-Amtrak was the center sidings that are no longer in place (Lynxville,
Stockholm) as well as some crossovers (Herrington, Diamond Bluff).

--
Matt Carlson
La Crosse, Wisconsin