[CBQ] Plymouth NG's

To: <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Plymouth NG's
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:54:45 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I received the following from Hol Wagner on the subject of the Plymouths

Yes, the Q did indeed have a large quarry at South Bend, Nebraska (just
southeast of Ashland and named for the final bend of the Platte River before
it drains into the Missouri at also aptly named Plattsmouth).  It's my
understanding that, in addition to limestone ballast, the quarry produced
large quantities of alluvial rock that was crushed for use in concrete
produced by the railroad's large concrete plant at Havelock that turned out
bridge components, sign and fence posts, coaling station wall slabs (that
replaced wooden siding), and other concrete items used by the railroad.
Somewhere I've got a record of the AFEs for purchase of the two Plymouths
that worked the quarry.  I've long looked for photos of them but have never
found any.

Any suggestions for photos?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ