Re: [CBQ] 60 years ago

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 60 years ago
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:08:42 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One of the BRHS meets had invited relatives of both the engineer and the
flagman involved in the Naperville Wreck.   As I recall things were a little
tense between the parties after all these years.
I doubt that the shape of the nose (E5 vs. E7) had a lot to do with the
extent of the telescoping; perhaps a Shovelnose with its lack of collision
posts might have crumpled more into the last car but I imagine the dynamics
of the forces in play would have been similar....something about the kinetic
engergy in stored in the moving object tends to destroy the stationary
object more than the object in motion.... seems I've read something to this
effect regarding automobile crashes.
It would be interesting to see if the date of the wreck corresponds to the
decision to install Red Mars Lights tied into the emergency brake
application on the tail cars and shovelnoses of the prewar Zephyr
trains....and higher speed steam power.
Charlie Vlk