[CBQ] Motive Power-Consist for the CZ

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Motive Power-Consist for the CZ
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:26:23 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Now remember when using the first generation power for the CZ the consist had
some minor changes.

For example in 1949 the CZ carried the 16 section Pullman and 1 10-6 Pullman
between the dome-dorm-buffet and the dinning car. This was only in the first
summer of operation, the Pullman passengers were going forward to use the
buffet dome for drink service. Now the dome in that car was reserved for
Pullman
passengers. In the fall of 1949 the CZ operators moved the dinning car behind
the dome-dorm.

The DRG&W PA's in the black and gold paint only lasted a short time in CZ
operation. I always thought that was the best looking Rio Grande power on the
CZ.

The WP added two ABA sets of FP7 F7B FP7, although I don't ever recall seeing
that ABA set in service on the CZ. Perhaps it did happen but again I've never
seen a photo.

Now the two other changes in consist would be the adding of the 6-5 Pullmans
one to each train set. This happened in 1952. The other change was dropping
the through Pullman in 1958. So  if you have 10-6 Pullman Silver Rapids the PRR
car, don't put red nose stripped E's on the CZ....... the red first appeared
in 1959.

Of course at almost anytime other cars appeared in the consist. Pullman
Standard Rio Grande coaches, Burlington pre war Budds, and almost any
railroad's
10-6 Pullmans. Sometimes it would be an odd Pullman being used as the through
Pullman or perhaps a tour group.

Also we can't forget the 16 Section Pullman cars, the sections were removed,
and 48 seats replacing the sections. This was done with no changes to the
outside of the cars.

But over the years, the CZ consist remained pretty much the same only with
traffic patterns changing the length of the train.

Have fun with the CZ! The California Zephyr was a special train. It was a fun
family train, relaxed in operation. And remember on one ever died on the CZ
although one child was born aboard the train!

Loren Johnson