Re: [CBQ] Steel structures paint

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Steel structures paint
From: Rob Adams <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:41:11 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tim;

    The answer depends upon the time period you are interested in.  The
structure painting standard that appeared in Zephyr #47 was dated 1936,
and apparently still in effect in 1941.  Structural Red Mineral paint
(formerly Indian Red) was specified for steel water tanks, though black
was specified for water cranes, steel coaling towers.  That document
does not include standards for bridges, signal bridges or signal masts,
though photographic evidence suggests that some bridges were painted
mineral red or mineral red and black.  This was also true for
turntables.  I don't know specifically when the use of aluminum color
for some steel structures was adopted, but based on photographic
evidence, it does appear to have been later in the 1940's.  As you can
imagine, not everything changed color over night.  Obviously the ideal
situation is to have a dated photograph of the structure in question.

    With regard to your question of the Burlington Route logo on the
water tanks, yes, many water tanks in the Structural Red Mineral scheme
were adorned with the Burlington Route herald in the 1920's and 30's.  I
have several photos in my collection showing them decorated in that
manner, and am working on artwork for decals as I need some for my
models.   There is even a large steel standpipe style water tank with a
block style "Everywhere West"  on it.  Very cool.   This practice
appears to have been abandoned by the 1940's for new paint jobs.

I'll be interested to hear what other members can add to this discussion.

Best regards, Rob Adams

--
Rob Adams
Wellman, IA