Re: [CBQ] What to See Between Aurora, Streator, & Zearing?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What to See Between Aurora, Streator, & Zearing?
From: "Chuck Knudson" <cmac.knudson@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:59:26 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I grew up at Serena and still travel in LaSalle County frequently.  A lot of
those things have vanished.  The track is still in use from Montgomery to
Streator so bridges are in place.  The location of the Wye at Burgess Junction
can still be seen, but the north and south legs are long gone.  I traded a
morning loading a box car with corn for some hog feed at that elevator one
Saturday when I was in high school.

Several industries of the CB&Q era are still located along the line including
several grain elevators, Wedron Silica, Ottawa Silica, and the glass factories
in Streator.  Most of the small town stations are gone.  Serena and Sheridan
are gone for sure.  If Wedron ever had a station it has been gone for more than
40 years.   There is an engine house in Ottawa.  The Ottawa Station was south
of the engine house between Main and Madison Streets west of LaSalle Street
about 2 or 3 blocks.  I am not sure if it is still there or not.
The Fox River bridge west of Sheridan and the lift bridge over the Illinois
River at Ottawa are interesting.

The track between Streator and LaSalle has been gone for a long time.  In some
places you will not find any trace.  Unless you have an older map or know the
area you may not be able to follow it well.

Have a good trip.