[CBQ] CB&Q Conductors Hat and Vest at antique shop in Mobile, AL

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q Conductors Hat and Vest at antique shop in Mobile, AL
From: "C. Thomas Hall" <cthomashalljr@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:12:38 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello folks,

I am mostly a reader of this list, but occasionally I get to contribute
something that may be of use or interest to one of the group members.

During a trip to Mobile, Alabama last fall, I found a Burlington Route trainman
hat and coat and vest (w/all buttons).  Both the hat and the jacket are in
glass frames. The frame containing the jacket & vest is pretty large, while the
glass and wood hat display measures about 14 x 14 inches. Their reported
heritage is they were on display in a Darryl's Restaurant in Mobile, Alabama
which was later closed. The price tags on the hat (and glass enclosure) is $100
and the jacket and vest (w/frame) are $250.

Both the hat and the vest appeared to be in good condition to me and have
apparently been stored in a warehouse for quite a few years, out of the
sunlight.  I do not have a qualified opinion of the price, but someone else on
the list may be able to chime in and give some guidance.

I did take a couple of digital photographs, but have since misplaced them
within all of my post-hurricane photographs.

The store is Mr. Bills Antiques, 6960 Moffett Road (Hwy 42) in Mobile, AL.

I do not have any financial interest in these items or the store, but thought
that someone on this list might be interested in these items.  I did purchase
some other railroad related items from them during my visit.

My only other "accidental Burlington encounter" during my weeks along the Gulf
Coast was seeing a public television show covering the artwork of a mid-western
sculptor who ha created life-sized replicas of working people from the
mid-west.  One of the lifelike figures, or either the reporter, had a boxcar
red shirt with a large Burlington Route logo and the slogan "Everywhere West".
Was there ever such a similar shirt produced by anyone or was it a creation of
the sculptor ?

Thank you,

Tom Hall