[CBQ] Re: C&S SD-40 details

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: C&S SD-40 details
From: "Dale DeWitt" <dcdewitt@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 04:24:13 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Norm & Ed,

Thanks for your responses to my C&S SD40 horn question.
It seems that your photos are much like mine.  The traditional front
3/4 shots where the details of the horns on top toward the rear
don't show very well.  I have yet to find a definitive broad side or
top side shot that will clarify if there was a rear facing bell
(trumpet) on these horns for the SD40s.  With regard to the thought
that the horns were 3 bell, 2 forward & 1 rear on GP 35s and
afterwards, one of my reference books clearly shows from a rear 3/4
shot that there was not a rear facing bell on at least one of the
GP35s. (Ditto on the CB&Q SD45s). Maybe some one else will have the
perfect shot to clarify the question on the SD40s.

Ah the mysteries of life.

Regards,

Dale DeWitt

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@...> wrote:

> Dale:
>
> I do not have the CB&Q locomotive horn specifications in my
possesion, so my answer is
> based upon observation, etc. From GP35s onward, the normal horn
was a Leslie with two
> bells (your term 'trumpet') facing forward and one to the rear.
The left forward facing bell