[CBQ] Suggestions on Savanna to Denrock line and Mendota area

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Suggestions on Savanna to Denrock line and Mendota area
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:47:54 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am drawing up some plans for an extension to my layout which will be
two (2) levels. Top level will be Savanna to Denrock and have about 30
feet of run. Bottom level will be about the same length with Mendota
probably occupying the right 16 feet or so and lines toward Galesburg
occupying a peninsula with about another 16-20 foot run.

Here are the questions for the group:

1. Anyone have a good track blowup for Mendota c. 1967/68? I have
Steve Holdings CD of track charts, but it would be nice to have a
larger size Mendota map.

2. Has anyone modeled Mendota who could send me some photos or
drawings of what you have done to give me some ideas?

3. What would be a neat town or junction to model between Mendota and
Galesburg? Zearing comes to mind but I'm not sure I could really do it
justice. Is there another neat little town with an industry or two
and/or perhaps a nice interchange with another road where a freight
could set out and pick up cars?

4. I'm looking for suggestions for the line from Savanna to Denrock.
The track chart shows a few sidings but doesn't indicate what might be
at the sidings industry-wise. Any nice siding with a grain elevator or
other neat industry along the Savanna to Denrock line?

5. I know there is a branch to Garden Plain at Fenton Junction. Why
was this branch there and what did it service in 1967/68? What train
worked the Garden Plain branch and from where in 1967/68?

Thanks for the help!

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH