[CBQ] Harry Bedwell

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Harry Bedwell
From: "LaVerne Brummel" <ldb53jmb55@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 05:11:05 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Pete,

I remember reading the stories by Harry Bedwell of "Eddie Sand" and
the others in the old "Railroad" magazine. It's editor, Freeman
Hubbard thought the world of Harry Bedwell, and reprinted many of
Bedwell's short stories in "Railroad", long after he had passed
away. I wasn't into railroad fiction much in those days, but reading
Harry's interesting tales certainly changed that for me.

Verne Brummel,
Fitchburg,WI

> Doug Harding..
>
> For shame...for shame...for shame.  You lived in Kellerton and
don't  know
> who Harry Bedwell was...
>
> Harry, as dubbed by Frank Donovan in his biography was "The last
of the
> great railroad story tellers"...He's my all time favorite railroad
fiction
> writer.  I quote from the introduction to Donovan's book.
>
> " Harry Bedwell chronicled in one book and some 70 short stories
and
> articles the actions and reaction of railroad men faced with the
unexpected.  He was
> himself a railroad man with wide and varied experience  in that
most
> versatile  of all railroad occupations, that of station agent  and
telegrapher.

> Harry "drew" the finest word pictures of any writer I've ever
read...ie
> "Indian summer had come to the prairies, and a tranquil hush was
on that bright
> land.  River smells floated through the trees.  The air was like
fragile silk"
>  Sounds like Willa Cather...but it's Bedwell.
>
> Eddie Sand, boomer telegrapher, appeared in nearly all of Harry's
> stories...Other notable characters were Hi Wheeler, Bricks Lemon,
Scrap Iron  Hawkins,
> Trainmaster "Clinker" Ward, old Salt and Molasses Nickerson, Buck
Barabe,
> Double Drop Brill
>
> Here's one of my favorites of Harry's word pictures:  "Little old
battered,
> telegraph stations under the eternal frown of dark peaks, with
Moguls
> stamping solemnly on the grade.  Headlights along the glittering
ribbon of  steel
> crowded close under the bluffs, with the river smells heavy in
the  night.  The
> restless lights and ceaseless turmoil of great terminal  yards.
Lonely tricks