Re: [CBQ] Fake calendars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Fake calendars
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 12:58:02 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Unfortunately, despite what it says here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060131/tc_nf/41321
(related to Tiffany suing due to fakes)
they will not do anything about it - unless you are a large entity
and can create a buzz beyond the borders of the railroadania community.

There have been fake calendars, signs, timetables, locks, keys,
globes, etc.  All have been documented as fakes, all have been sent
to Ebay with the only result being a threat to the REPORTERS use of
ebay.  They don't make money removing items.  If you tell a bidder
about the fake, and the seller finds out, ebay will remove you for
interfering with bidders.   If you send a message threatening action
against the seller - YOU will be removed.  That is, unfortunately,
the pattern.

That's why I sent it strictly as a funny item - and sent her the same
type of note declaring how funny it was.  Ebay will not help.  It is
literally caveat emptor - the buyer should be an informed buyer, know
what is real and not get fooled.   You have to gather your
intelligence and buy from good merchants.  It does take time,
sometimes it can be more expensive (and you can still be caught out -
but a good merchant should allow returns).  It's like the purchase of
any product - from a book, to a model to paper - know your market and
know your products.

At 12:50 PM 2/4/2006, you wrote:
>I sent her an email earlier today stating they were fakes and asking
>that they be removed from eBay immediately.  I told her I would complain
>to eBay if she did not comply.  I will give her a few more hours to
>reply then report her.  She has a good eBay rating, so her customers
>apparently don't know what she is up to.
>
>Mike
>
>gedgar66 wrote:
>
> >This lady was informed the 1st time she sold some (1940's) but ignores
> >all comments.  Has anyone told eBay Safeharbor that she is knowingly
> >selling fakes?  Those of us on this list may think it's obvious to
> >anyone these are fakes (a 1910 Zephyr is a giveaway0 but BRHS mbrs were
> >burned by the 40's calendars (I personally made a minimun bid of $10
> >just so I could acquire one close-up & see if I could figure our who or
> >where was making them).  We need to help people buying a 'nice old Q
> >calendar' for Dad or husband and even some Q fans who are not as
> >knowledgable as others.  The other 'hot' item on ebay is reprint of the
> >1878 system TT.  (NRHS reprinted 1 or 2 from 20's or 30's but they are
> >marked as repros - this one is not, anyone know who printed it?  has
> >been around at least 20 yrs I'd guess.  I have one of the repros ($3
> >from a knowledgeable dealer) and several real ones of that vintage -
> >unless you have them side by side, it's difficult for mmost Q fans to
> >tell the difference especially if the repro has been 'weathered' and
> >worn.  As in all cases, when spending big bucks on RRiana, know what
> >you are buying as most sellers have no idea what they are selling!
> >Gerald
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Links

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Bob Webber