[CBQ] Re: CB&Q U28B & U30Bs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q U28B & U30Bs
From: "Dale DeWitt" <dcdewitt@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:42:39 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Spoke with Bob Rzasa's son recently who says he plans on continuing
the Custom Finishing business but hasn't receceived a brass parts
shipment in over 6 months.  Even thought the packaging says "made in
USA" I am told by the son that the brass parts are actually cast in
China and possibly through a 3rd party to (I assume ) get the volume
up.  The CB&Q/GN horns are currently included in the "ordered"
parts. If your local hobby shop doesn't carry Custom Finishing
parts, they can be ordered directly from Custom Finishing.  P&D
Hobbies in Detroit has one of the best supplies of Custom Finishing
parts that I have seen.  Sorry, but no CB&Q/GN horns as I bought all
they had in December.  Besides being pricey, the the Custom
Finishing brass parts seem to vary quite a bit in quality and may
take a little work with a fine file to be usable.  Walther currently
has the wheel slip modulators in stock.

Dale DeWitt

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, robert runty <brjr51@y...> wrote:

> Tom,
>     Bob Rasza (sp?) of Custom Finishing passed away a year or so
ago. It was pretty much a one man operation from what I've heard and
I  don't know if anyone has or will pick up the line. Something I
learned  many moons ago was if you need something and come across
it, you'd  better get it. So many of our hobby items are 1 man
operations,  especially detail parts and decals, and they can
disappear almost  overnight.

>   Bob
>
> Dale DeWitt <dcdewitt@c...> wrote:          Tom & John,
>
>   Thanks for the response re shrouded horns for the CB&Q U boats.
>   agree, and already have the Custom Finishing shrouded horns
>   installed.  By the way these are brass castings not the soft
white
>   metal.   I had heard arumor from the GN guys that Details West
was
>   considering producing this typ of horn but had not been able to
find
>   them listed anywhere.  Double checked their website this morning
and
>   found them now listed(part #AH-347 Air horn two chime $2.95 ea)
>   listed under "coming items".  They also list the correct style
wheel
>   slip modulators in the "coming items" list. (part WS-350 wheel
slip
>   modulators 4 for $2.95).  I hope the production parts are of
better
>   quality than the photos on their website as they are pretty
crude.
>   I have used the Custom Finishing brass wheel slip modulators on
my
>   CB&Q U-boats.  The Custom brass parts are bit pricey and often
times
>   hard to find but they are more durable than the soft white metal
>   parts in areas that are subject to handling damage.
>
>   If you are also detailing some of the U28b & U30bs I can provide
>   list of parts needed.  The parts cost was about $10 for doing
the
>   shells and another $11 for doing the chassis.
>
>   Still need info about the nose lights.
>

>   --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mack" <thommack@y...> wrote:
>   >
>   > One detail part you will definitely need for any Q U-boat is a
>   > shrouded airhorn. These were pretty unique to the Q and the C&S
>   > U30C's. Custom Finishing made a white metal CB&Q shrouded air
>   horn -
>   > Walthers 247-197. I have had some on order for awhile but they
>   haven't
>   > come in. Not sure when Custom Finishing will do them again.
>   >
>   > Alternately you can build your own shrouded air horn.
Dimensions
>   and
>   > info on building one fromtwo pieces of .060" styrene and a
Detail
>   > Associates 1601 air horn can be found in Kalmbach's (Model
>   Railroader)
>   > Diesel Detailing Projects book on pp. 89-91 (article on
modeling a
>   > CB&Q U25B).
>   >
>   > Tom Mack
>   > Cincinnati, OH
>   >
>   > --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Dale DeWitt" <dcdewitt@c...>
wrote:
>   > >
>   > > I am trying to add some extra details to the recently
produced
>   HO
>   > > scale Proto2000 CB&Q U28B & U30Bs.  These are very nice
models
>   and a
>   > > few detail changes can make them more accurate for CB&Q.
Photos
>   in
>   > > Holck's "Burlington Route Color Pictorial Vol 2" show a red
lens
>   on
>   > > one side of the nose (short hood)lights and a clear lens in
the
>   > > other.  Can someone tell me if both of these lights should
be
>   lit when
>   > > the loco is running or should they be dark?  If dark, when
were
>   they
>   > > used?
>   > >