[CBQ] Re: VO-1000 #9353

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: VO-1000 #9353
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:59:00 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ralph,

Originally, all had one stack , as delivered. None were delivered with
four stacks. Later, due to some engine problems, many were modified
with four stacks. I don't know if this was an official Baldwin
modification or a "roundhouse" fix. On the Q, they modified some of
their units, but not others. Those assigned in the KC area, seemed to
have been mostly if not completely modified with four stacks, based on
photos. Those in Cicero, seem to have been left with the single stack.
Mike Spoor's books have a good selection of photos showing both
arrangements. Some very late photos (1965) still show one stack on some
units while some earlier photos show the four stack arrangement. This
subject came up on this list some months back. I believe someone
provided a complete list of the Q units that were modified and those
that weren't. It may have been six months ago or so. You should be able
to find it in the Archives. BTW, remember that the red and yellow
striping on the side sill are reverse on the VO's compared to all other
Q switchers.

Bill Barber