Re: [CBQ] Request for information on DA-5 Heavyweight Diner

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Request for information on DA-5 Heavyweight Diner
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:09:16 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Burlington steel dining cars are even more interesting than anyone
thought!!!!
It seems the CB&Q had a long-term relationship with the Florida roads
and leased diners to them going back to the early teens at least....
a Burlington diner was involved in a wreck of the Florida Limited SAL #10 on
the SAL
at Southern Pines, NC on February 8, 1916???!!!.  Pictures are on p.61
of Images of America  Richmond County and the Seaboard Air Line Railway
The only problem is that the first CB&Q ACF DA-5 diners were built in 1917.
I tried to access the online ICC Accident Reports but could not get through
confirm the date of the accident.. it may be a typo and should have been
1918
which would make it a DA-5 less than a year old....damage was minor due to
the
sturdy CB&Q/ACF construction.

Al Hoffman has been doing some research on the DA5 and DA6 cars.
Interestingly, six cars were built to the DA-6 (ACF) design by PULLMAN in
July 1924 and numbered in the CB&Q series as 188-193.  Cars 188-190 were
sold to the Kansas City Southern in May 1929 and the ACL purchased the
191-193
in March of 1937.  The cars seem to have been in CB&Q service up to that
point.
Company records are vague as to the ownership of those cars and the Q
"reused" nos.
190-192 for the three prewar Budd diners delivered in 1937 which seems to
indicate
that these numbers were all vacant by 1937...but why the 188-189 were not
reused
is a mystery as those cars were off the roster in 1929 and presumably were
not in any
seasonal sharing arrangement.....
Interestingly, the Fort Meyers, which was the 192?? was used in "Eastwind"
service
over the B&M/NH/PRR/ACL  Pictures of the car in its original configuration
and
partially modernized with skirts appear in the current PRRT&HS Keystone
issue
which covers the East Wind.
The KCS cars were eventually modernized with sealed windows and streamstyled
roofs similar
to the treatment that Burlington Chair and Coach cars received and converted
to coach diners.
Drawings of the KCS car appeared in Mainline Modeler.
The ACL cars were sold to the NdeM and continued in service with skirts and
sealed
windows but with the original roofs.
A further interesting link is that the "Ribbon Style" lettering used by the
Q on heavyweight
equipment is identical to the ACL lettering used on its heavyweight cars.
Did a diner come
back to the Q after the winter lettered BURLINGTON in ACL typeface and look
so good
that the Q brass adopted it?
Charlie Vlk

>  Subject: Re: [CBQ] Request for information on DA-5 Heavyweight Diner
>
>  Exposition Flyer Burlington Bulletin #42 page 233 has builders photos of
>  #173 and #176, together with a plan drawing and notes
>  Simulated stainless steel started in about 1952, and plain aluminum paint
> in
>  about 1958-9
>  I've been keeping a list of SSS and aluminum paint cars for a number of
>  years but I can't find any reference to any DA-5 car getting the SSS
>  treatment, and only #171 and #176 listed as having received solid
> aluminum
>  paint.
>
>  So, depending on your time frame, you may not have many choices!

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM