Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2612

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2612
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:34:28 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Brian,

The lower headlight should be a fixed single beam light. The upper one
was a white Mars light that also had a red bulb. In forward motion, the
fixed light and the white Mars light would normally be used. In a
backup movement, the Mars light would usually be off and the fixed
light would be one dim or off. For rear protection, the locomotive had
red class lights that could also be set to green (second section
following) or white (extra movement). The red light in the Mars
assembly only came on when the locomotive went into an emergency brake
application. Keep in mind, that in the days when the passenger F's
where assigned to the CZ, they might not display any headlights during
the day light hours. That was before ICC mandated the headlight law.
looking at photos of the period, it appears to be a crew preference.
Later, when headlights were required all the time, the fixed headlight
would be used during the day and both the fixed and Mars lights would
only be used at night.

Bill Barber

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005, at 08:32  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

>    Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:43:28 -0800
>    From: "Brian J Rubino" <DonnerFan@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Passenger F-Unit Light Arrangement?
>
> Hi all,
>

> I have 4 CB&Q Passenger F-Units that I am going to wire up with
> decoders.  I
> do have a question about correct headlight arrangement.  The 4 units
> that I
> have are the 9961-A/C and the 9962-A/C; all four of these have a lower
> headlight with a single clear bulb and a high headlight with a single
> red
> bulb.  Now, I assume that the single clear was the stationary
> headlight (not
> a Mars, etc.); was the red set-up to come one when the unit was
> running in
> reverse?  Did this red light move? (i.e. Mars, or Gyralite?)
>
> Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Help the victims of the Pakistan/India earthquake rebuild their lives.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.cYGuB/leGMAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM