Re: [CBQ] Covered Hoppers For Grain

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Covered Hoppers For Grain
From: robert runty <brjr51@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:29:16 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,
    I was going to respond earlier but Russ beat me to it. He's  right in that
up till the mid to late 70's, almost all grain on  secondary and branch lines
moved in the 40' boxes. The big, modern  covered hoppers in grain service were
usually used at the big elevators  on the main lines.
   I spoke with Richard Kistler a while back and he related as to  how during
the early years of the big grain export program around '70  and '71, anything
that could hold grain was pressed into service. He  recalled seeing stockcars
with the insides covered with plywood and  even old modified refrigerator cars
in use on the Neb. branches.

  Bob

Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us> wrote:          Paul,

  From my experience most of the elevators in Northern Illinois
  were boxcar only until they quit rail usage altogether, And,
  as I have said before, the car's roadname was not even a factor
  in regards to who loaded it. A 40' box car is a 40' box car.
  Since the CB&Q had a rather large fleet of 40' box cars they
  would be in the majority but I don't think they were ever used
  to the exclusion of anything else.

  The early three bay covered hoppers were very seldom used for
  basic grains. Since they were new a great deal of effort was
  made to find them higher rated commodities. Grain products
  like grits, soybean meal, or feed were usually loaded in these
  cars, along with minerals and industrial products like petroleum
  coke.

  The first large 200M covered hoppers are sort of a mystery. There
  must have been some favored, high output elevator somewhere that
  got them in quantity but I don't know where it was. By the BN era
  they had come up with CSD435 which was intended to keep cars on
  their owner's property. This was really a major error as it did
  not lead to the build-up of a large national fleet as had existed
  with 40' box cars. Everyone started rationing the larger and newer
  cars and the customers just plain quit shipping rail. It took until
  the late 80's to reverse that trend and the only way it was done
  was by guarantying the customers would get the cars as ordered.
  Now pricing and car supply are linked. They do not sell service
  for which they can not provide cars.

  Russ